Eleven Diocesan Priests:
Canon Edmund Rooney RIP (1902 -1924)
The religious and social life of the church flourished under his leadership. Societies, such as Children of Mary, Guild of St. Agnes, Guild of St. Aloysius, Women's Guild, Boys Solidarity, and St. Vincent de Paul were all encouraged. When the Great War finished, Mrs. Mary Monica Maxwell-Scott of Abbotsford gifted the beautiful statue of St. Michael the Archangel sculpted in white marble in thanksgiving for the safe return of her three sons from active duty. Today it stands on the High Altar near the Lady Chapel.
Father Alexander O'Donoghue RIP (1924 - 1944)
During Father O'Donoghue's ministry, the church was raised to parish status. Consequently, he became the first parish priest. Before the commencement of World War Two, a missionary order of White Father priests acquired a residence in Melrose, while a Junior Seminary was under construction in Newtown St. Boswells. One of the White Fathers, Father Droste, frequently assisted the parish priest at weekends.
During World War Two, units of Polish Forces were billeted in Galashiels and were allowed to use the church, in appreciation of which they gifted a stained glass window of their patron saint, Our Lady of Czestochowa. It is said that a Polish soldier designed both glass and window. Father O'Donoghue died in 1944 and is buried at Eastlands Cemetery.
Canon Thomas Corcoran RIP (1944 -1972)
Canon Thomas Corcoran saw the establishment of several religious houses; the convent of the Poor Servants of the Holy Mother of God at Balnakiel, Galashiels; Brothers of Charity at Gattonside; St. Andrew's College, Drygrange; and the purchase of St. Cuthbert's Chapel in Earlston. On 9th January 1953, the Church of Our Lady and St. Andrew celebrated the one hundredth anniversary of its founding. In a packed church, High Mass was celebrated by His Grace, Archbishop Gray, and sung by the boys of St. Columba's Junior Seminary from Newtown St. Boswells. A Jesuit Father preached the sermon.
Canon Charles Brodie RIP (1972 -1984)
The ministry of Canon Charles Brodie was marked by the Archdiocesan purchase of an unused church in Melrose. In 1985, St. Cuthbert's High Cross Church became Parish Church of Melrose and the surrounding towns and villages.
Father David Brown RIP(1984 -1994)
The enlargement of Galashiels Bus Station and construction of a link road for traffic relief was undertaken by Borders Regional Council during Father David Brown's ministry. This new road scheme resulted in the land surrounding the church, presbytery and garden being reduced to its present size.
Monsignor Ian Murray RIP (1994 -1996)
Monsignor Ian Murray, Bishop Emeritus of Argyll and the Isles, completed the conversion of the two side chapels into an Oratory for the celebration of Mass on weekday mornings.
Canon John Creanor (1996 - 2012)
Canon John Creanor was responsible for the restoration of the organ and church paintings. Major repairs were made to the church roof and floodlighting was installed. In 2002 he led the first parish pilgrimage to Lourdes, and he oversaw the celebration of one hundred and fifty years and the consecration of the church, by His Grace, Archbishop O'Brien, on 25th May.
On leaving Galashiels, Canon Creanor served the archdiocese as Parish Priest of Our Lady, Star of the Sea, North Berwick and Our Lady of the Waves, Dunbar. He has now retired from active ministry.
Father Basil Clark (2012 - 2014)
Appointed Parish Priest in September 2012. Fr Basil is now Parish Priest of Our Lady of Loretto and St Michael, Musselburgh.
Father Kevin Murray (2014 - 2018)
Appointed parish priest in September 2014, Fr Murray was also responsible for the parishes of Melrose and Selkirk. In addition he held various posts within the Archdiocesan curia. He is now Parish Priest of Bannockburn and Cowie in Stirlingshire.
Father Nick Welsh (2018 - 2020)
Fr Nick was appointed Administrator in June 2018, almost four years after his priestly ordination. Prior to moving to Galashiels he served as Assistant Priest at St Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh. During his short tenure Father Welsh was responsible for implementing the Archbishop's decision to combine the three parishes of Our Lady & St Andrew, Galashiels, St Joseph, Selkirk and St Cuthbert, Melrose into one parish - Our Lady & St Andrew with churches in Galashiels, Selkirk and Melrose. In addition, Fr Welsh served as Vicar Episcopal for Education for the Archdiocese. On leaving Galashiels, Fr Welsh was appointed Vice-Rector of the Scots College in Rome by the Bishops Conference of Scotland.
Father Andrew Kingham (2020 - )
Fr Kingham was appointed Parish priest in September 2020 having previously served in Stirling, St Andrews and North Berwick.